Thursday, November 11, 2010

Popular or Unpopular

This is a follow up post to last weeks post titled “Chasing Lions”. Going after what God has called us to do is sometimes very unpopular, but most often times we opt out for the “popular” decision. There was a song in the mid 90’s by the band Nada Surf called “Popular”. This song was about being popular in high school and basically what it takes to be popular in the eyes of your classmates, here are some lyrics:


I'm head of the class
I'm popular
I'm a quarter back
I'm popular
My mom says I'm a catch
I'm popular
I'm never last picked
I'm a cheerleader chick
I'm the party star
I'm popular
I've got my own car
I'm popular
I'll never get caught
I'm popular
I'm a teachers pet
I make football bets.

When I was in high school I was the QB on the football team, the point guard on the basketball team, and the shortstop on the baseball team, so that is automatically made you "popular". But from the time I was born I always wanted to play baseball in college and decided my senior year I was not going to play football. That was a very unpopular decision, I faced ridicule from other players, coaches, and even teachers (some still mention it every once in a while when I see them). I forfeited the opportunity to be the athlete of the year for our school and possibly for our county and region, but I knew what I wanted to do and that was play baseball in college. Do I look back and think what could have been, sure I do. I also look at and think what has come since. I got the opportunity to play 4 years of baseball in college and ultimately got to win a championship my senior year at North Georgia. But more importantly I can look back and see the people God put in my life to shape me and mold me into who I am today.
Is making God-sized decisions sometimes unpopular? Absolutely. Will it cost you something? Most of the time. Is the payoff greater in the end? Always
What God has called you to doesn’t always make sense, even to yourself, but the end result is always better. Go after it, don’t let societies definition of popular dictate what you do with your life. Dream BIG.

Mickey

No comments: