Saturday, May 1, 2010

Dead Blackberry, a few trout and really fast cars!

My weekend so far has been pretty exciting. 

It all started with an early release day from school in our county.  Nathan (my 12 year old son) and I spent the afternoon together.  We first went and hit some baseballs at Diamond Field.   We really had a great time.

Then we decided to go trout fishing in Helen, GA.  We started fishing from the bank but realized the fish were on the other side of the river and we both decided at the same time to go wading.  After a few minutes we both caught a pretty good sized trout and enjoyed the fun of fishing together.  We fished for about 30 minutes or so and began to consider moving on to another spot.  As I walked out of the water I felt a weigh in my pocket, then it hit me, the weight was my Blackberry, not good.  But we did have a great time and for that I am thankful.

Then today I met Tina's brother Matt at Road Atlanta for the Mitty's, a vintage car race.  I love fast car and racing so this was up my alley.  After a few races the group I was with wanted to go to the autocross, Mazda was allow people to test drive the M-5.  All I can say is drifting baby drifting.  The last time I did something like this I was asked not to come back, this time the course attendant said I did a great job, so the next trip I drove it like I stole it, and smoked the tires pretty well.  Wait there more!  Next we went to a AMG Mercedes booth and they offered to allow me to drive a $139,000 convertible coupe.  WOW!  This car has over 500 HP and I had to slow down at 95 in traffic.  REALLY!  The cool thing was when the car shifted I heard a chirping sound, thought that was strange so I asked the man in charge.  "Hey, why does this car chirp when it shifts?"  He looked real funny and confused.  When we communicated better he said, "That was the tires barking!"  Ouch.  Well, after several passes our group was asked to leave, they said they were loosing control and we were going to fast.  As we left I overheard one of the workers say, "We need a tire deal for that group!"  FUN is an understatement. 

The best part of my day was when I was going beyond 90 MPH through Braselton, GA I looked over at my Mercedes co-driver and said.  "If I am scaring you don't worry, I can't die unless God says so, you should be pretty safe right now."  He got this really strange look and nodded as if to say, "you are an idiot!"

As I thought about these last two days, I can't help but think about how we live our lives for Jesus.  We live lives that are safe and secure.  We live to protect and preserve, to hold on to what we have.  Had I lived safe and protective I would have missed out on some incredible fun.  Now I am not talking about living recklessly, but living as if we believe in the God of the Bible.  To follow Jesus sometimes requires us to live with reckless abandon, trusting Him for our lives.

What have you done in your faith that  requires you to depend on God for the results? 

No comments: