Sunday, May 9, 2010

Baptism on Steroids!

Today we celebrated one of the two ordinances we believe God has given to the church to remind us about His redemptive work in our lives, Baptism.  As Missy Crump (Stan's our Mission's Pastor's wife) said, THIS NEVER GETS OLD!

At each of our two services times today we baptized four people.  During the first hour we baptized; Donna Brock, Michele Smith, Temple Carr and Allysia Halbrock.  In the second hour we had; Jacob Shireman, Rachel Busic, Leigh Peterson and Anna Alexander.  Anna is the story I want to share with you: YOUTUBE VIDEO HERE

The picture at the left is Anna, she is of Laotian decent.  It was during her baptism that I was blown away.  We ask all adults who are being baptized to tell their story by video to be played just prior to their baptism.  I don't usually see the videos until the service.

Anna entered the water and her video began.  During the video she told of being raised Buddist by her parents.  At some point she attended a Christian church with a friend and her dad beat her!  At that point I lost it, here we are in America, Habersham County, GA the belt buckel of Christianity and this young lady was being beaten for just attending church.  

Anna's husband, Stephen is a police officer in Baldwin, the city where Fellowship Church is located.  I had met him on several occassions through the chaplain ministry I have with our city police.  They began to attend about 6-8 months ago.  At some point (Anna would have to tell you) about four weeks ago Anna came forward during one of our services, she prayed to recieve Christ.  When baptism was announced she immediately signed up. 

Today she stepped into the baptismal pool (hog trough) as a proud step of obedience to Jesus Christ.  For most of us that doesn't mean much, but I asked Anna just before her baptism how her parents felt and she said they will not talk to her.  It broke my heart. 

I have baptized many people in my years of ministry, but she is the first that has to endure what most would not to follow Jesus.  Anna blessed me today and I believe God will use her story to bless many others.

Question: What are we dening to follow Jesus?

3 comments:

alexanderssa said...

Hello my name is Anna Alexander. I am so happy to share my story with everyone. I have been through a lot with my parents even though they still don't support me now, I am a christ follower and I am proud of it. I am not ashame!

Jamie Moore said...

I just want to say that I am sooo proud of Anna. She has come such a long way and is such a blessing to me. We have been friends for a long time, and I must say... she is more than a friend to me, she's family.

JesSke said...

I am so proud of Anna and can't wait to see the many she will bless through her obedience and her testimony! Craig said a few weeks ago he'd like to see the Lord just show up in an awesome way, well I'd say this is pretty awesome! Yay God! Yay Anna!