Sunday, February 14, 2010

25 Years and Counting Pt. 6

If you didn't realize it, today is Valentine's Day and although I think it is a day primarily promoted by greeting card companies I believe it is a great time to show your spouse, girlfriend and even family how much you love them.

Tonight I want to do a special post about one of the lessons I have learned during my 25 year marriage to Tina.

Lesson - Love

I met Tina at her father's church in 1984.  Being two years out of high school and living the good/wild life I invited her on a date that day.  I even told a famly member that I would marry her one day.  We dated for a while and I considered moving on (she knows what I am talking about).  But the one thing I could not get around in how much I loved her.

In late 1984 while picking up a Sunday night meal for the family Tina and I were hit by a car while stopped at a red-light.  Neither of us were injured and I knew then I wanted to marry her.  On Feb. 23, 1985 we were married and it is a day I will never forget.

Today:  I would like to say I have been the great husband and godly leader of my home all these years, however I would not be telling the truth.  Tina has shown me love when I was not lovable, she has cared for me when I couldn't care for myself, she endured many long hours, hurts and pains.  I have learned love from her.  In all this time my love for Tina has grown.  It's not that I didn't love her, it's just that I love myself more than her.  Through all we have experienced I have learned to love her first and me second.  I have learned that the closer I get to Jesus the closer I get to her.  Last week while away at a conference in California I couldn't wait to get home.  I longed to be with her and to see her.

In learning this lesson I am so thankful that Tina's love for me and grateful for her beingg patient, kind, forgiving and loving.

The Lesson of Love takes many years, a lot of hard work and most of all an understanding that it is through God's love that I can fully love her.

No comments: