Tuesday, February 2, 2010

25 Years and Counting Part 2

Lesson - Money ain't worth much

Studies show that one of the biggest issues in marriage is money.  I would be lying if I told you money hasn't been at the forefront of mine and Tina's marriage over the years.  In fact just as expected money has at time caused some pretty high tension.

But the biggest lesson I have learned is money ain't worth much.  I have learned that no amount (or lack thereof) of money is worth breaking my relationship with my wife.

In our 25 years together we have had times of wealth and times when we didn't have anything.  I remember a time when we were so poor (relative to our culture) that we didn't have any money to buy groceries, at night I would cook a pizza at Domino's and we would count tips and eat at 2am together on our bed (really good memories).  Contrastingly I can remember a time when money was not an object and we had anything we wanted, if I remember correctly those were the most dreadful days of our marriage.  I worked long hours, spent to much time alone and neglected my walk with Christ and my wife and baby girl (I really regret those days)

What we can learn is that money does not buy you love or happiness.  Love and happiness are an attitude and choice.  Money does not buy you satisfaction or peace.  Money does not give you status or popularity.  Money ain't worth much!

Finally our greatest lesson learned about money is trust God with everything we have.  During our time together all but a few years have been given to ministry of some type and although ministry will never make you rich, giving our lives to God does.  We have the privilege to see God work in the lives of those we are entrusted with.  You can be sure that money ain't worth much, but serving God's family is the greatest wealth a man can be afforded.


Well, that's about it today.  My next post will be entitled: Forgive as you want to be forgiven.  See you then!

No comments: