Monday, April 6, 2009

Story from Texas

Hello Fellowshipians as many of you may know I’m in Mission, Texas this week leading worship for a group of middle and high schoolers from Cedar Crest Church in Acworth. I’ve heard reports that Sunday’s service was really good and thanks to the worship and tech team for stepping up in my absence you guys are awesome. I can’t wait to get back for Easter I think it is going to be really awesome this Sunday.

I wanted to share a story of a girl I met here yesterday(Sunday) after church. Her name is Keila Pedraza, she is the worship leader for San Isidro Baptist Church, which is the church we are partnering with this week in Texas. She sang and played the guitar for worship and let me tell you she was incredible. She could rival any singer in music today, and has never had any formal music training. I was blown away and the good part was I didn’t have to follow her. She came to the U.S. from Mexico and I asked her how she started singing and leading worship. Her story was so fascinated and real, I wanted to share it with you:

She grew up in a pastors home in Mexico and learned English by listening to American radio Stations when she was 15 she moved to America to go to school and her dad had a job offer as a magazine editor. She went to college and her dad told her if she majored in music and he paid for her school she would have to use her talent to make money (i.e. get a record deal in the music industry outside of the church). She told her dad if that was the case I will major in something different and just sing in the church. So she is majoring in graphic design. A few months ago she needed to get a job to help support herself in college and could only find a job singing in a bar in McAllen, TX. This was not the ideal job for her but she needed money.Two days before she was supposed to start her job the pastor from San Isidro BC was at the Baptist Student Assembly at her college and heard her sing and was also blown away by her talent and passion for worship he offered her a part time worship leader position at his church making more money than she would have at the other job.

God is good and is faithful. The best part about it was every time I complimented her she did not thank me she thanked God for giving her that gift, and made it a point even correcting herself one time when she said “thank you, no thank God” I learned a lot from my 30 minute conversation with this girl and I want to challenge you: WHAT TALENTS OR GIFTS HAS GOD GIVEN YOU THAT YOU NEED TO USE FOR HIS GLORY AND THANK HIM FOR AND NOT OTHER PEOPLE WHEN THEY PRAISE YOU?

Thanks

MC

No comments: