Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Galaxie 500


How many of you remember the Ford Fairlane 500? Our family had a restored Fairlane 500 that we shared among us kids. I can remember driving that car on dates, to school, to work and just for fun. Let me remind you I started driving in the early 80's so a car from the 60's was an antique, but man wouldn't she get some looks.

When I think about driving that Fairlane 500 I think about speed and power. It had a 289 ci. motor with a three speed automatic transmission. It was loaded with a vintage 8 track tape player and naugahide seat covers. We thought we were uptown! There were even some nights that I would race to see how fast it would run. Won some and lost some. I recall one night when I was acting like a teenage fool and wanted to race. My opponent and I line up and the flag dropped, but not as fast as the transmission in the only car I had to drive at the time. As I took off the line, I revved the engine and jerked it in gear, with a loud and painful noise parts went everywhere. Needless to say I lost.

So what does this have to do with church and Easter Sunday. Well, I think the thing I would encourage you to remember is new things are good. Today we have cars that are decked out with all kind of conveniences. We have CD players and now you can have multi-disk changers. Leather seats (we ran out of them nauga's, went to using cows) with heat that blows onto your behind. Power windows and locks and even connections for our Ipods, GPS and power ports. Things change and so should church.

As time passes the church must change to meet the demand of culture. Careful now that you don't think I mean changing the message. Jesus never changes, but I am so glad we can use more up to date tools to get the message across.

This Sunday (Easter Sunday) will be a chance for you to invite your friends to check Fellowship Church out. We pride ourselves on being different and cutting edge. When we began we decided to do church like no one else in our area to attract people who would not ordinarily go to church. Like automobiles we have taken the basic concept (the Gospel) and re skinned it with today's technology. I for one and glad I am not driving that Old Fairlane 500.

Oh you might ask what happened to that ride of the past. Today it sits in one of our cousins yard (and he actually lives in GA) with a blown engine and wrecked body. Sometimes things just have to change or die. Also the pic above is not the car, it looked way cooler than that, black with cragar mags, yeah baby!

I can't wait til Sunday, I am believing God will do some incredible things with out New Model.

No comments: