Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Inpending World Calamity


Got your attention did I? I wanted to share my thoughts about the recent prophecy as given by David Wilkerson, author of the best selling "The Cross and the Switchblade".

It seems Pastor Wilkerson got a "word" from God concerning a "great calamity" that will cause event the godliest among us to shutter. Although he does not mention specific's such as dates and exact locations, he does go as far as mentioning NY City and the surrounding cities. Then the calamity such as fires and riots will spread across America and the world. He tells us to prepare by stockpiling a 30 day supply of non-perishable food, hygiene items and other important needs.

So what do we do with this? Not sure, but I can tell you how I am responding:

1. Why now, certainly things are not well, but I have seen in my lifetime people (Christians) exploit difficult times. It is because Christians do this that so many do not believe. I am not suggesting that this is the case with David Wilkerson, but the timing seems suspect.

2. I am not one that believes the Judgment of God will come on the just. I believe the rapture of the church (or second coming of Jesus) will take place and then the Tribulation period where God's judgment falls on those left behind. In my personal understanding of scripture I can't find where God will bring this judgment to the church. This does not mean that some of God's blessings have been removed and being removed, that is certainly evident in the resent collapse of our financial markets.

3. Why would the "godliest" of us be caused to shutter in fear. The Bible tells us that God does not give us a spirit of fear. In my lifetime I have seen many so called end times prophesies come and go, each time causing fear and confusion. The Bible clearly teaches that God is not the author (source) of confusion. We should all remember that Satan is the one who comes to cheat steal and destroy.

4. Why would God tell only David Wilkerson? Why do we not hear a resounding cry coming from all corners of the Church? In the OT God spoke to Israel through prophets, this was possible primarily due to the fact that Israel was one nation of people who were centrally located. Following Jesus' death and resurrection the church is scattered all over the world. I am not sure God uses Prophets to proclaim his message. God can certainly do whatever He wants to do, but I just don't see it.

One final thought: David Wilkerson is a person I respect and admire as a great man of God. I remember reading the Cross and the Switchblade and it have a profound impact on my life. I can't solidly say that he is wrong, I am just not ready to buy in. God calls us to live everyday as if it were the day Jesus would return. If we live that way then even if calamity comes, God is still Lord of my life and in control. I know He cares for me and would let nothing happen in my life that would harm me. So my response is to live like I live everyday and keep tell as many as I can about the life changing message of Jesus Christ.

The Goal - if Jesus is coming soon, let's get up a load.

'Til next time, CL

No comments: