Tuesday, December 23, 2008

On Mission


Do you ever have those days that seem to mark your life and change you? Today was one of those days for me. I spent most of the day at Lee Arrendale State Prison giving hygiene items as Christmas gifts to the prison population.

I remember my first visit to the prison a little over 8 months ago, it was not what I expected. I fully expected to have fear of being in a facility filled with people who were locked up for anything from drug charges to murder. What I found was a building filled with ladies who need to know that there are people who really do love them and I had no fear.

Today my job was to hand out emery boards. As I handed each inmate an emery board the look of excitement filled their eyes. Occasionally a lady would pass who was so overwhelmed that someone cared for them they had tears in their eyes. Of course this cause my eyes to fill as well. I saw girls as young as 18 and ladies as old as 70, each with a multitude of hurt and pains in their life.

Several stand out, like the young girl, who looked like she was my daughters age, who looked as if she were completely lost and without hope. As I handed her the emery board I smiled and said Merry Christmas. The return look told me she had not had someone care for her in a long time. Then there was another lady who walked with a cane, she had a drooping face, a face that had felt the ravages of a stroke. She spoke very deliberately and slowly as the stroke had taken her ability to communicate. Later I would hear that she was close to being released following over 24 years of imprisonment. Last week she had her first outside visit from family in over 20 years. I celebrated with her and hugged her neck and said goodbye. Next I visited with the lock-down where ladies are put when they break rules, I am not sure I could survive this as each person was in a small cell with little to no outside contact.

It changes you, it moves you, it hurts you. Now don't think I tell you this to think the prison system is not treating the ladies right, they do a great job and the staff (who are underpaid and overworked) really do care, but must do their job in accordance with the standards set forth by the court system for those who break the laws. I tell you all this in hopes that you will consider future opportunities to serve and make plans to come be changed.

I have always said, "missions will change a person". I can assure you the local mission work will grow you spiritually in ways you will never forget.

Thank you Warden Howerton, Chaplain Roberts and Jett and the staff as you allowed us the privilege to serve the ladies at LASP, I can truly say you guys helped change me today, a change that I wished every Christ follower would be willing to experience.

No comments: