Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Priorities - sad what we value

Today I have been studying away from the office.  I will be doing this for the next few days in an attempt to get ahead with my studies.  I have found that the staff is encouraged and assisted in their work when I work ahead.  During this time away I will be putting together our next study on the Gospel of John.  Beginning on June 5 and ending just before school starts back in August we will journey through the four book of the Gospels.  I hope you will make plans to be here as we grow together.

Priorities

What defines your priorities?

What makes certain things important for you?

As American's we have been born into wealth.  Now, some of you may be responding with indignation, "I'm not wealthy!"  However following my trip to Haiti last week I have come to realize that all of us who live in Habersham County and for the most part of America is wealthy.

I am sitting here in my camper on the lake in middle Georgia.  I brought my black lab, Midnight, to hang out with me as Nathan played around and spends some time with his grandparents.  Tonight as I was reading and thinking the TV was playing the background.  I had stopped on the Speed Channel earlier in the day and the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction was on.  Tonight's show was focused on Corvette's, those American iconic hotrods that most every man would enjoy.

I glanced over at the screen at just the right time I guess, a time when I my mind was drifting back to the experiences of last week.  On auction block was the most beautiful deep blue Corvette.  As the auctioneer told about the car it became clear it was something special.  A not yet released 2011 Chevy Corvette LS7 Z06, this would be the first delivered corvette for the 2011 model year.   The bidding started and the buzz grew as several men fought it out to see who would conquer this beast.  Now the typical retail price of this car would be in the $85,000 price range.  To my amazement two men bid for several minutes and the final price was well over $210,000.00.  Going once, going twice, sold while children around the world die.

Immediately my heart broke and I wondered what the hungry and hurting of the world must think about our priorities.  Next came my wonder at what God must think about our priorities.  James 1:27 tells us that one who is a real Christ follower will care for the orphan and widow.  $200,000 would open two orphanages for a year that could house up to 75 children each.

I pray that you and I would take a close look at our priorities and take on the priorities of God.

No comments: