Saturday, May 21, 2011

Last day in Haiti

Haiti day six This day would start with a new adventure for me.  The host asked me to drive the truck to the airport to turn in the rental van.  I can check that one off my bucket list.  To say I had a great time would be an understatement. The next stop this day was the tent orphanage.  My wondering from the days before about the rain in the compound would be answered.  The tents were flooded and water standing everywhere.  The children had moved their meeting place to higher ground in the compound. Once again they were singing praise songs and smiling with joy.  One would wonder if this were part of the leaders attempts at making outsiders think the situation was better than it looked, but I can say to the best of my abilities these children were happy. The next hour or so we spent time with the children.  Since it was our last day on the ground I took all my snacks and we gave them to the children.  As we handed it out, it was amazing to watch the children sharing.  One child even went to a care taker who was washing clothes and made sure she had some.  Following the snack we played with the children.  I became a two armed merry go round and a climbing tree.  I sat on their bench playing like I had went to sleep while they piled on and them I suddenly awoke to scare them.  The chuckles and screams were precious.  At this point I had about 8 children, sometimes more tickling me and me tickling them.   We had a blast! During our play time doc was treating a set of triplets, yes three babies born in a third world country, two boys and one girl.  We had been told about them because the girl had pulled an oil lamp over on her and she was severely burned with 2nd and 3rd degree burns scattered all over her body.  It was heart wrenching to see, but also amazing to witness survival at it's best.  Doc said other than the burns the family was doing a great job caring for the children. Leaving is always difficult in this country.  Your heart is given to those who you are working with and you want to stay as long as you can.  The children I was playing with all gave me bear hugs and we said our goodbye's.  I would be lying if I said it was easy, my heart hurt to know that I may never see these children again.  I wonder what will become of them? How long will they endure?  Will they find homes soon?  My mind was flooded, I am overwhelmed and hurt!  Lord give me understanding and peace. The second part of our day was a ride through port au prince city.  We saw the broken buildings and the palace building and downtown.  I have never seen so many people, people everywhere.  Later in this writing I will tell more about this. On this day we would stop for lunch, your not gonna believe what we had, dominos pizza.  A third world country that has a Dominos! Following lunch we drove for what seemed like hours up the mountain.  Arriving at the top the temperature was much cooler and the homes much nicer.  Our trip would take us to an overlook of the country of Haiti.  As i looked off the mountain down on the city my mind wondered to Matthew 9:35&36.  Jesus was on a mountain looking out over the people.  He saw they were hurting, helpless and like sheep without a shepherd.  Earlier in is day as I sat in the mission house these verses we part of my morning devotion and reading.  God used my time with Him to show me my day.  Haiti is a country filled with people God loves, I wonder what Christ followers will do about it. Coming down the mountain was an event in Haiti traffic.  Stop and go for what seemed like several hours.  In my pictures that will be posted on Facebook when I get home it became a time to see people and what they do along the streets.  Since unemployment is at around 80% most peoplenbuy and sell good along the street.  One can purchase spices, water, veggies, and yes meats of all kinds.  One man pushed a wheel barrow by our truck with a hog that had been gutted, the ladies in or group were shocked.   The funniest thing we saw was a truck filled with cattle and people that had goats hog tied along the side, this truck would make PETA proud!   The next stop on our tour today was at the khadasha orphanage where Whitney and josh's babies where.  It was where we spent one day earlier on the week.  We reunited with the familiar child and began to play.  Jr. Went to sleep in my arms and we took him to his room.  As soon as my hands were free other children longing for love came to my side.  We played and enjoyed each others company.  A little girl about 6, one whom I had played with earlier found me and came to my arms.  We played and then she wanted me to hold her.  She wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged my as tight as I have ever been held.  We played, I tickled her and she tickled me, i think I enjoyed it as much as she did.  As we wrapped up our visit she hugged tighter and said one word that rocked me more than anything that happened all week.  "daddy!". Now I am messed up, I began to weep.  I had to peel her arms from around my neck and walk away, it was the hardest thing I think I have ever done.  I am in Haiti, 6'6", 275# blubbering redneck, but I was blessed and possible touched by an angel. In His faithfulness, God sent His Word to me.  If you have done these to the least of them, you have done it for Me.  Ah, the father was giving me a glimpse of how he feels when I wrap my arms around Him and say, "daddy!" Our ride back to the mission house was difficult, I couldnt help thinking about my day.  Wow, I am blessed. We had dinner, shared as a group and began to pack for the trip home the next day. Although I have enjoyed my time in Haiti, I am ready to see my wife and kids.  And I can't wait to begin planning for my next trip to see the children God has blessed me with.

No comments: