Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Good reminder of what we do at Fellowship Church.

Regularly I read blogs of other church leaders and some business leaders whom I respect.  Most of those can be found in the right hand column of this blog.  Today I was reading a blog by Perry Noble about some things on his mind.  When I came to number two I immediately looked up on my office wall where this saying resides.  I also copied from his blog to share with you and will add my thoughts to the end:
#2 – “In order to reach the people no one else is reaching we must be willing to do the things that no one else is doing.” Craig Groeschel
Leaders…IF you do this you WILL be controversial because people usually have a problem when the status quo is upset, especially in the context of church!  I am seriously wrestling with the question and asking myself, “what else is it that we need to be doing to reach people who are far from God?”  And please understand…I am NOT asking, “what activities do we need to add to our agenda to try and reach more churched people who are desperate for more Christian activities so that we can provide them with opportunities to isolate themselves from the very people Jesus commanded us to reach.”  There is a huge difference!
Five years ago myself, Stan Crump and five men started Fellowship Church.  Our vision was to do church so that anyone would be welcome.  I had served in the church for almost 25 years and felt so many times that church was only for people who called themselves Christians.  What if we started a church that did not have any restrictions on who came and actually frowned upon people who are already in church from coming?  So far it has worked.
We decided to do church to reach people that no other church was reaching.  In doing so, we have taken a lot of criticism and to be honest I didn't expect that, but I have come to accept it as a compliment.  No Fellowship Church does not do things like other churches in our area.  Yes we use creative content from church around the country who want to reach people far from God.  Does that mean we are not on the same team, Not at all!  Actually you will find that we are very much on the same team with the Bible believing churches in our community, we just do church in a way that is different.  
So what are you doing personally to reach out to people no body else is reaching?  The typical "Christian" will invite their "christian" friends to church, but are afraid to ask the professing pagan in the office.  I for one don't want to catch the caught, I want to feed the fallen, hook the hopeless and reach out to the helpless.  Because of this I will do whatever it takes, yes even if it offends good "Christian" people.  
Let's get busy making some people mad.

No comments: