Saturday, August 6, 2011

Haiti Day One Aug 2011


Haiti day one.
We flew out this morning at 7:00 from ATL.  Leaving the church at 3:00 am was awful, even when we prayed Jesus was in bed and didn’t hear us (just kidding for those of you who can’t get it).  Our flight to Miami was uneventful.  It was fun to watch Kim McConnell and Nathan Lee fly for the first time.  But I think in the end they both really enjoyed flying.  The landing in Miami was crazy.  At first everyone thought we were on the ground and them we hit and bounced about five times and then stayed on the ground for the taxi.  We hit the ground and within 15 minutes we were boarding for Haiti.  Probably the fastest turn around every from me.  Once in the air you could tell that the low pressure system formally known as Emily was in the air, pretty bumpy but not all that bad.  Definitely not the worst turbulence I have ever experienced.  We did get to fly with two famous people going to Haiti.  Sean Penn and Tao Cruz?  They said something about a movie star and a rapper, both which I have no idea, guess I should have been impressed.  We found our way to the Guest House, I have to say the traffic was not bad at all.  I did see a woman begging at the same corner on the ride in, in fact you can see her picture at the church on the Haiti wall, she is looking in the back of the truck.  I told her it was great to see her and we went on.  Got our stuff in the house and ate a sandwich.  Soon we would be on our way to the Children’s Home.  There I found familiar friends in the children I had love on before.  This time I could see the growth in the children, even got to hold the two boys we picked up in City Solie who were near death.  They both had put on a lot of weight and looked great.  It was a little concerning that the children all seemed to have some type of colds.  Sniffles and low fevers, by the time we left some seemed to feel better.  We road back to the guest house and had a wonderful dinner.  Macorroni and cheese with bacon, french fries and tacos.  The lemonade was amazing.  Looking forward to an even better day tomorrow.  Thank you for your prayers.

No comments: