Monday, October 19, 2009

Worship Blog

Hello everyone it’s been a while so you will get a double dose this week. We will look at two songs that we have done recently and I’ll do my best to give you a little more insight into each song.

The first song is How He Loves by John Mark McMillan. This song has become one of the most sung songs in worship services all over the world and the funny thing about this song is it was never meant to be a worship song. This song was written about a youth pastor named Steven who was killed in a car crash. It was the author’s depiction of what Steven’s first encounter with Christ might have looked like. The first time I heard this song I was blown away by the power of the song and the compassion you could feel coming from John Mark as he sung.

However, this song has also caused some controversy within the Christian sector and among some church leader because of one line in the bridge, yep you guessed it “Heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss”. A few other artists have also recorded this song including Kim Walker, Eddie Kirkland, The Glorious Unseen(awesome band), and most recently David Crowder.

Crowder’s version has also taken some hits because he chose to change that line of the song to, “Heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss”. I will let you form your own opinion as to which line you would like to sing. I will tell you why I sing the “sloppy wet kiss” line.

When I think of something as beautiful as Heaven I cannot help but think of and relate it to my two children, their birth and their life. Many times I have kissed my children with food, snot, boogers, slobbers, and God only know what else. That act is very messy and sloppy, but at the same time very beautiful. So when we cease to exist on the planet and pass from life to death and into eternal life, it may be sloppy and messy up but it will be beautiful at the same time to see Jesus face to face.

Click Here to read some commentary from John Mark McMillan about Crowder’s version and his

Mickey

No comments: