Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Answers To Some "Why" Questions


Hello everyone it’s not that often that I blog usually because of the simple fact I’m usually being sarcastic or joking 95% of the time.  Since we are coming to the end of our Why series, which has been incredible, I figured I would blog a little and answer some of the “Why” questions I get from time to time.  As worship pastor most of the questions I get are about music but there are times when I do get some other questions mainly about our church.  Here are some of the questions:
  1. Why do you do what you do?   The easy church answer would be Jesus, isn’t that the answer to all church questions.  But for me, while that is the correct answer, I do what I do because of what Jesus has done in my life.  Before I started attending Fellowship Church I was typical 20 something male who loved Jesus but was not in love with Jesus.  I was radically transformed by the work of the Holy Spirit through our church and I know there are other people just like me who need a radical transformation.  Trust me the rest of their life depends on it.
  2. Why is it that every time I come to your church your stage looks different?    Remember I told you I was sarcastic.  The answer to that would be you need to come more often.  We have had two stage changes since Easter.  Everyone remembers the white boxes and then our current set up.  But truthfully we attempt to bring every visual element possible to engage congregants.  Currently our stage has newspaper clippings of tragic events that have happened in history.  Each one was cut out and tied together with yellow string.  That idea came from one of our creative team members that she borrowed from the movie “Conspiracy Theory”.  Sometimes we will transform the entire worship center to fit the theme of our current series.
  3. Why is the music so loud?  This is probably the number #1 question I get.  The first reason is that it’s commanded in Scripture, Psalm 33:3 tells us to play skillfully and loud.  Also when the walls of Jericho came down the Israelites weren’t worshipping softly they had to play pretty loud to bring those walls down.  Ultimately, we believe God enjoys when you worship loudly.  On the other hand that doesn’t mean he doesn’t appreciate you worshipping in silence either.  But after all, if you read Revelation it says that heaven is going to be loud.  If you don’t like it loud now you might hate heaven because that is a lot longer than 30 minutes a week.
  4. Why is it so dark during church?  This honestly I continue to explore whether it’s better to have it blacked out during worship or have the lights on.  I have talked with other church leaders who believe both sides work the best.  Lately, we have been trying to keep the house lights up more because it’s pretty tough to see when you first enter the building if it’s completely black in the room.  There may not be a perfect formula for this but we will continue to try anything to make people feel more comfortable during church.
Ok this is the #1 “Why” question I get

      5. Why do you wear v-necks and skinny jeans?  
        Well I’m just going to leave that up for people to still  
         talk about.  

I hope this helps if any of you have asked me one of these questions or if you have wanted to ask me one of these questions.  If you have any other “Why” questions you would like to ask feel free to email me mickey@fellowshipga.org or comment on this post.  Thanks
Mickey

No comments: