Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Emperor's New Clothes and Our World (Habersham)


Almost everyone is familiar with the tale written by Hans Christian Anderson, the Emperor's New Clothes, we read it while in elementary school.  Just to clarify, the story tells of two tailors who offer the make the Emperor a new set of clothes.  The Tailor's trick the Emperor into thinking he was clothed, however he was naked.  The Emperor paraded through town with his new clothes and only a child spoke up to tell him he was naked, everyone else just kept quite.  Not wanting to appear ignorant or wrong, the Emperor continued to parade  before his people naked.

Although I cannot prove this thought, it appears to me that Hans Christian Anderson was writing about our ability to hide reality from truth in our lives.   Often times we act as if we are clothed all the while knowing we are naked.  Everybody around us knows we are naked, but for some reason we just act as if things are all right.

I am motivated to write this following a few weeks of senseless activity in our community.  I was informed this morning that since July 4th there have been 6 suicides.  Six people became so desperate that they took their lives into their own hands and ended it.  To say that I am broken would be an understatement. My heart breaks for the families who are left to pick up the pieces, I can't imagine what they must be going through and I pray that God walks with them.

Revelation 3:14-22 (KJV)
14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. 


Scholars say that John's writings to the Laodicean church was a warning to our modern day churches.  Study of Revelations reveals that John addressed seven churches about their condition.  Laodicea it would appear was considerably like our churches in modern day America.  We are neither cold nor hot, but lukewarm.  As a result we don't really see what we have become.  We say we are rich, but we are poor.  We say we are clothed in white, but we are naked.  We act as if we can see, but our eyes are filled with infection.

I see this played out everyday in the modern church and specifically in Habersham County.  We say we are Christian's but care more about what we drive, what we have, who we know and what we look like.  All the while people are dying all around us of despair.  We strut around in our fancy attire while the hurting world passes by laughing at our nakedness.  We claim to be holy, but our hearts are far from it.  Our churches are worried more about competing in softball or attendance verses telling the grand old story of Jesus and His love.  We care more about separating ourselves from sinners (people just like us) over loving everyone and doing all we can to see them meet Jesus.  We care more about our beliefs verses our behavior.  We cry at funerals and talk of the pain, hurt and disbelief, but decide to do nothing in response to see our community change.

Tonight I went to the Funeral home to pay respect to a family I do not know that well.  As I waited in line I heard people talking about their new car, the new tires for their new car, their new job, how good so and so looked, watched as people chatted as if they were at a family reunion.  This all happened mind you while a young man lay in a casket facing eternity.  I would guess this happened in all six of the settings of the last few weeks.

When will it change?

When will we change?

Will we continue to sit around and act as if we are clothed when we are naked?

Personally I am praying for a move of God.  We don't need revival we need obedience.  We don't need another meeting we need an anointing.  We don't need another singing, we need some holiness.  I realize that this may be cliche, but we need a II Chronicles 7:14 movement to over take our churches and our community.

No one is immune from what I am calling for.  I have sin that must be dealt with, you have sin that must be dealt with.  Our community is filled with so called "Christians" who need to repent and fall on their faces before God asking for his mercy.  22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.   


Dear God, the Almighty Creator of our World
forgive us of our sin and nakedness.
Cleanse us from the top of our heads to the bottom of our toes.
May your Holy Spirit fill our homes, our jobs, our schools, our churches
and our community.
Strip away in our lives the attitudes and actions that are far from you.
Be merciful to us and grant us your power.
Protect us from all the enemies attacks and schemes.
Unite our churches as we seek to see our community transformed for you.
Be glorified and praised in this world and may you come quickly
to take your children home.
In Jesus Name,
Amen

I realize that this rant is strong at times and very difficult for some of you to read, but my sadness, anger and frustration overcome me.  I pray the same feeling overcomes you and you join in this prayer.  The Bible says, "the effectual fervent pray of a righteous man avails much".  Let's pray, believe and receive what God has already promised.  Let's declare spiritual war on Satan's attack of our children, spouse, families and churches.
Enough is enough!  We will not allow the enemy to take another piece of ground  by the power of our Lord!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen! May God bring us to our knees.